Today I am 62.
I am at once grateful for making it to this age and surprised at how fast it happened. I keep asking for a recount but no matter how much blonde math I apply, the age still comes up as 62.
I haven’t lived this long without learning a few things. Here are #5Words of Wisdom from One Old Broad…
- Always listen to that little voice.You know the one…she says things like “Don’t jump” or “Did you check the gas on the stovetop” or “Kiss him goodbye”. 99% of the regrets I have in my life could have been avoided by listening to that little voice instead of ignoring her. So whether you call her your conscience or your guardian angel or your inner nag, do what she tells you. Especially when she says, “Just buy the damn shoes!”
- Whenever the chance presents itself– walk barefoot on the beach, swing on the swing set, jump into the pile of leaves, blow bubbles in the bath, read to a child, hold your mother’s hand and tell someone when you love them.
- What are you waiting for? Write the book, hike the Grand Canyon, plant the garden, wear the dress with the purple sequins, change the world (or your corner of it). Do it now- without regard to whether you will succeed or fail. Do it because it is calling to you.
- Be kind to yourself. Take care of yourself- nourish your body with healthy food, find work that will support you, find a passion that will lift you, take the time to exercise, allow yourself to do fun stuff, and find someone to love who loves you just the way you are.
- There are no calories in birthday cake. Trust me.
Welcome to the Rest of Our Lives! Let’s Have Fun!
M.A. Simonetti is the author of the Malibu Mystery Series which features Alana Fox, who is no Spring Chicken. You can read the first chapters to the books and order them here: https://bit.ly/2bjwfXr