“I want a life that I don’t need a vacation from.”
Dangling preposition aside, I think this is an interesting quote and a goal well suited to retirement. Since moving to Arizona, I’ve found myself gravitating towards doing more of what I want and less of what I do not…a Life Vacation.
Here are #5Things I love about my Life Vacation:
- A leisurely morning routine. For much of my adult life I awakened to an alarm and ran around like the house was on fire. From making lunches and school runs to attending doctors’ appointments with elderly relatives, my mornings were hectic. I now sit in one spot and drink an entire mug of coffee without interruptions.
- Comfortable shoes. Once I finish that morning cup of coffee, I want to slide my feet into comfortable shoes. The days of stilettos and other pain-inducing footwear are over for me. I’m not saying that I have settled for sensible old lady shoes but I’m done teetering on mile high heels and praying I don’t break an ankle. Or a hip.
- No A**holes. You know who they are, you either worked for/with them or are related to them. If someone can’t behave in a civilized manner, I no longer have the time for their nonsense.
- Creativity for the sake of being creative. From the moment Alana Fox wandered into my imagination, I only wanted enough time to spend chronicling her adventures in Malibu. For years I squeezed in my time with her between the school runs and doctors’ appointments…and yearned to have endless hours to plot and re-plot. Now I have the time to write as well as to pursue other creative endeavors. There is something gratifying about creating something just because you love doing it.
- No Happy Hours. Happy Hour is the new Early Bird Special with cheap booze and fried food. I prefer to fill my afternoons with writing, swimming, hiking, volunteering, reading, travel…call me if you want to meet for dinner.
M.A. Simonetti is living #LifeAtaCertainAge and is the author of the Malibu Mystery Series, which features Alana Fox, who is no Spring Chicken. You can read the first chapters to her books and purchase them here: https://bit.ly/2bjwfXr